03 April 2011

Nuclear power? Na, nee, nej, no, non, nie, nao...

With the recent developments in Japan, my concern about nuclear power is renewed. Copenhagen have a clear view of the nuclear power plant Barsebäck on the shores of Sweden only 20 kilometers away. It was built in 1975 and growing up I remember the protests, and the image of the ever present smiling sun with the message: Nuclear power? No thanks. Since that I can't recall a single issue uniting so many Danes. Only recently was the plant shut down entirely, but the destruction of the facility will be another nine years, awaiting the construction of yet another facility for the waste. Adding to that an estimated seven years of transport and neutralization. Of course I am deliriously happy that Barsebäck is finally shut down, but with another ten nuclear plants in Sweden, drawing a sigh of relief seems premature.

Atomkraft? Nei takk

Nuclear power? No thanks

The other day I passed this beautiful van and I had to stop and greet my old friend The Smiling Sun. The message turned out to be in Norwegian, and I got curious about the origin. It turns out that the sun was made right here in Denmark in 1975 by activist Anne Lund, and today it speaks no less than 45 different languages. It has become the symbol of the fight against nuclear power. How cool is that?


The image of The Smiling Sun is as powerful as ever and it seems only right that it survived Barsebäck.

Nuclear power? Na, nee, nej, nei, no, non, nein, nie, nao...

7 comments:

  1. I remember it Nucléaire, non merci! we had those when I was a kid...
    Here is a map of the nuclear plants in the world. It's very scary (it's in French but I think it speaks for itself)
    http://www.terra-economica.info/Risque-nucleaire-etat-des-lieux-en,16253.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole, that is just downright scary! If only one of these red spots pop, we are in trouble. And where are we going to go then? Nuclear power is such short term thinking, and future generations will be stuck with the bill.

    But on the cosy side of things, I love that the smiling sun is also part of your childhood memories, it is like it connects us don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atomkraft Nej Tak!
    Det er det jeg altid har sagt...

    Fedt VW Rugbrød!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a connection. Not too many comments on that one, heh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hej Drumstick, det er godt at høre! Efter jeg så solen igen har jeg stået på hovedet efter en mulepose med printet på. Helt umuligt at opdrive, argh.

    Hi Carole, yes that is strange huh? Maybe the subject is scary, or maybe it is just plain boring. Either way I had to get it out of my system, at least now I feel better, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Atomkraft, nein danke!
    I remember the stickers here in D in the early eighties. I have liked them always.

    Personally, I think that a desaster like in Japan is probably not likely in Europe as we do not have earthquakes here (at least not that in that strength).
    Ulrike
    But the unsolved problem is the nuclear waste. Tons and tons of waste and it is not possible to store them safely. So they are just stored in a way which is not defined.

    The only thing which is "useful" with the Fukushima desaster is that people get aware again of how dangerous this technology is. But the Japanese people have to pay a very high price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ulrike,
    I too feel for the Japanese, and I just heard that they have upgraded it to a Tjernobyl level. But we sort of knew that already. Unfortunately so many other things can go wrong at a nuclear power plant other than earthquakes. Human error for example. What scares me the most is that if anything goes wrong at just one of those plants, like a meltdown, the consequences are unimaginable. I don't even want to think about them too much. I still say nein danke.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Go ahead, make my day. :-)